On June 8th, 2014, the first Training Workshop on Responsible Tourism Raising Awareness and Practicing Skills for Community took place in the Emerald Island resort, Thanh Thuy district, Phu Tho province.
Attending the training workshop were 50 representatives of the local community. They are mainly local people and households who willingly engage in tourism activities in Thanh Thuy district or the surrounding areas like Thanh Son district and Tam Nong district.
The training workshop equipped the community with the basic knowledge of responsible tourism as well as the benefits of applying responsible tourism. Besides, the ESRT Programme also provided several recommendations for community to act more responsibly, including:
- Developing responsible tourism products which bring economic benefits
- Protecting the local environment and community
- Promoting the engagement and support in responsible tourism
- Developing local skilled workforce
- Monitoring and assessing the sustainable impacts based on community.
The Responsible Tourism Seminars series aim at three beneficiaries groups, namely communities, accommodation and tourism operators. As planned, the ESRT Programme will continue to implement this activity in eight North-western provinces, Ha Long and Da Nang city.