Results to be achieved
Vocational education and training in the tourism sector: The vocational training system in tourism including the Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills standards (VTOS) system is sustainable and covers the entire tourism sector.
Result 1: VTOS standards updated, Responsible Tourism included & extended in line with ASEAN guidelines and approved by a relevant authority.
Result 2: Vietnam Tourism Certification Board supported to implement and manage VTOS standards
Result 3: VTOS used for dissemination & training with pilot trainings
- Activity 3.1.1: VTOS standards updated and extended with Responsible Tourism issues; VTOS approved by a relevant authority and published
- Activity 3.1.2: Development of VTOS standards in line with ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement
- Activity 3.2.1: Preparation of Vietnam Tourism Certification Board Business plan for uniform management of vocational education skills in tourism
- Activity 3.2.2: Elaboration of Training Needs Assessment with proposals for an update of Human Resource Development strategy
- Activity 3.3.1: VTOS & Responsible Tourism training material tested with train the trainers & used in new schools for pilot training
- 10 VTOS standards approved, in English and Vietnamese, printed and uploaded to the Environmentally and Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Programme/Vietnam Tourism Certification Board website
- Business Plan for Vietnam Tourism Certification Board developed
- Vietnam Tourism Certification Board Quality management system established and operational
- VTOS training materials developed and disseminated for 3 occupations: Small Hotel Management, On-site Tour Guide and Tourist Boat Service
- VTOS Trainers of 3 occupations (Small Hotel Management, On-site Tour Guide and Tourist Boat Service) trained
- VTOS Trainers of Human Resource Development in Tourism Project selected and retrained on new VTOS
- Trainers of 5 new schools and 14 existing schools trained following the new approach of new VTOS
- Teachers of training institutions throughout the country trained on VTOS and implementation methodology of VTOS and Responsible Tourism in vocational training
The existing 13 Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills have been mapped and synchronized with Ministry of Labour, Invalids and Social Affairs/Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and ASEAN standards to meet all criteria needed for accreditation. New additional Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills-formatted standards and modules were added to the existing portfolio so that the revised system of standards covers the entire spectrum of job profiles and they will be approved in the framework of the project by a relevant authority and made publically available in printed and electronic format.
Outputs to date:
- 10 Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills developed in English, translated in Vietnamese and submitted to a relevant authority for approval in periodical sequences: Front Office, Housekeeping, Food and Beverage Service, Travel Management, Tour Guiding, Professional Cookery, Hotel Management, On Site Guiding, Tourist Boat Service, Small and Medium Enterprises operation
- Over 220 units for tourism & hospitality jobs at 5 levels from entry level to management developed
- Over 60 new qualifications suitable for industry and colleges developed
Activity 3.1.2: Development of Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills standards in line with ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement
The Environmentally and Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Programme objective is to strengthen the capacity in the implementation of the ASEAN Mutual Vocational Recognition Arrangement – Tourism Professional between ASEAN countries signed by ASEAN tourism ministers in 2009. The Mutual Recognition Agreement aims to increase the quality and standardisation of tourism human resources and facilitates the mobility of trained, accredited tourism professionals (all levels) within the region.
Outputs to date:
- ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement guidebook developed
- 3 Mutual Recognition Agreement handbooks for Vietnamese tourism professionals, tourism schools and students prepared
- Vocational Education and Training Workshop/seminar on ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement - Tourism Professionals and Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills delivered
- Awareness on Mutual Recognition Agreement to encourage tourism colleges and individuals to upgrade qualifications through Vietnam Tourism Certification Board raised by 3 Workshops in Hanoi and HCMC and Da Nang
Vietnam Tourism Certification Board is an indispensable partner for the Environmentally and Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Programme not only for the implementation of various component 3 programme activities but also for supervising and managing the Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills system in schools and the industry. As a result of coordination meetings between Vietnam National Administration of Tourism, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism and the Environmentally and Socially Responsible Tourism Capacity Development Programme, the present Vietnam Tourism Certification Board will be restructured within a new legal, organisational and financial framework.
Outputs to date:
- Vietnam Tourism Certification Board draft development/business plan and Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills quality management system prepared
- Vietnam Tourism Certification Board Meetings supported
- Support Vietnam National Administration of Tourism in restructuring Vietnam Tourism Certification Board
- Support Vietnam Tourism Certification Board in drafting and piloting new qualifications based on the revised Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills and the mapping of Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills
- Workshops for the Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills System
- Technical support to Vietnam Tourism Certification Board for Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills trainee assessments
The periodical Training Needs Assessment surveys and analysis (2 or 3 year’s period) should be performed in order to be able to follow the needs of tourism industry. A revision and update of the Training Needs Assessment / Tourism Human Resource Development Plan of the EU-Human Resource Development in Tourism Project with the exclusive focus on tourism has been conducted in close cooperation with Vietnam National Administration of Tourism. Most recently a Human Resource Development Strategy up to the year 2015 was approved covering all 3 Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism sectors of the Ministry.
Outputs to date:
- Rationale for the Training Needs Assessment has been prepared
- Training Needs Assessment has been performed and presented
- Training Needs Assessment technical report available in English and Vietnamese (full version, executive summary and sector presentations)
As the updated and extended Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills cover also Responsible Tourism topics and are developed in line with ASEAN Mutual Recognition Agreement requirements broad distribution of information that new Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills is available is needed to tourism industry, colleges and to administration in provinces and communities.
Outputs to date:
- Provided trainer and trainee materials in conjunction with Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills process
- Piloted Train of trainer on the newly developed Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills materials
- Several information on new Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills distributed to tourism colleges
- Piloted trainings on some Vietnam Tourism Occupational Skills topics in tourism destinations
- New tourism colleges (that will be newly equipped) were selected